Wooden Turtle (Vonu)
Fijian legends are full of references to sea turtles (vonu), making them a motif featured on many wood carvings and utensils. Today, turtles are considered an important icon of Fijian culture, many consider them as ancestral gods and tokens of good luck.
This hand carved Wooden Turtle features traditional patterns on the head and limbs, and a village scene on the shell body portion.
- 8″ (width) x 12″ (length)
- Dakua Makedre wood (Agethis Vetensis )
- Engraved patterns and village scenery
- Carvers are from Tawake Village
- Fijian Crafted and Made
Care & Handling:
- Avoid direct sunlight or bright lights, which can fade finishes and colours.
- Over exposure to sunlight or heat can cause the wood to crack.
- Avoid cleaning with harsh chemicals, simply wipe gently with a damp cloth or dust with a clean, natural bristle brush.
- Furniture wax may be used to retain the lustre or shininess of the wood.